Pages

Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Fourth Outing


It's official. I love SAM (Seattle Art Museum).

(And Clarissa, if your mom won't take you to Nat-Soo-Pah you come visit me and I'll take you to SAM.)

Because it would have been too much to ask for two sunny outings for the sandals, it was certainly not sandal weather.



The weather felt forbidding when I was a little nervous anyway. I donned my shoes though. I willed my butterflies to fly in formation. And we were off.



It worked! We got there and got home without a hitch.

And the museum did not disappoint.


Braeden thinks it's "creepy" when siblings wear the same clothes but here are Braeden and Mark...in unintentionally matching black shirts with matched poses gazing up.

I was afraid an art museum and Mark wouldn't be compatible but he loved it.

There's a Michelangelo special exhibit right now and when I showed Mark a relief sculpture and explained how old it was he said, "This is what is so great about art museums!"

We wandered through, delighted by the Alexander Calder exhibit. We were slightly aghast at some of the Modern art and watched Mark have imaginary conversations with the African masks. We inspected the Egyptian art and then the ancient Greek and Roman exhibit. Braeden and Emma love all things ancient Greek so while they carefully read all the labels and earnestly discussed the painted Greek pottery, Mark and I perched on a bench. He said, "I didn't think I liked art museums but I was wrong. I do."

We stopped in the "family room" which is full of toys and pillows and art picture books.

Mark rode a "horse" while "shooting" in a way that would have made John Wayne proud.



Then he started boxing.



What is it about art that brings out aggression in red heads?



Emma started reading.


And lest you think that's all she did...

oh, wait...

In a rare cooperative moment all three kids built a fortress.


And I put my feet up and enjoyed the view.


When it was time to go so we weren't stuck in rainy-leaving-Seattle-traffic, I gathered up my crew and thanked my lucky stars for three children...

...that all love art museums.




3 comments:

Melanee said...

Fun. Will you take us too?

diane said...

This makes me so happy! I am the original owner of the traveling shoes. Do you mind if I link you? Christie gave me your blog address because I thought it was private. Thank heavens I can follow the adventures of the traveling shoes. Enjoy!

Ilene said...

Happpy Feet. I would love to go to SAM. I used to volunteer at PAM (Portland) and now live by BAM (Boise). Ah, the puns could go on and on.

So how are you going to decide to forward the shoes? I want to wear Diane's shoes to go deliver goodies to her son on a mission in Boise.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails