Pages

Thursday, November 19, 2009

A Post That Promises Not To Be Whiny

It's about time am I right?

Last night was adventurous at our house.

I had already said my good nights and was in my bedroom changing into my fuzzy striped pajama pants when I heard Emma scream for me.

I wasn't alarmed.

She has a flair for the dramatic.

I called back that I'd be right there.

Then I heard her mention "spider".

I'm the bug slayer around here. Adam is opposed to bugs. I wouldn't say he's afraid of them but he lets me kill them.

Here's the scene I arrived at. Emma, standing on her bed, in tears, talking fast and wailing about the spider.

Adam in the hall with Emma's big pink Disney Princess story book...ready to seek vengeance on the offending spider that was an affront to Emma's feminine sensibilities, but holding back ever so slightly, waiting for me.

Braeden was sort of close to the spider, curious and willing to be involved but not willing to get too close.

Mark standing on the futon, was highly excited and terrified also.

I took the book from Adam and he happily retreated to comfort Emma. I took a long skinny pointy Lego creation Braeden was wielding. With it I scared the spider from its corner. (and in all fairness to the faint-hearted arachnophobic family members, it was one big spider) I dropped the Disney Princess book on the spider with a satisfying thwack!

Mark started screaming and Braeden ran to comfort him.

I went to the bathroom for some toilet paper to shroud Mr. Spider in before sending him down the plumbing. As I went I was muttering under my breath. "How are these my children. Afraid of a spider?"

Then I remembered my unreasonable fear of mice and thought I should be more sympathetic.

I hugged and kissed Emma and she whimpered that she didn't think she'd be able to sleep. I left to calm Mark down. It was a scene all too violent for him I guess. He wondered why I hadn't just caught the spider in a cup and taken it outside.

I showed him the torrential rain outside. The river flowing down the street. The spider was a goner either way.

Mark sniffed, "Well you shouldn't have used my Legos."

Sometimes you can't win.

Especially if you're a big spider that was unlucky enough to emerge from Emma's heat vent.

1 comment:

Clarissa Johnson said...

I'm like you. In Sunday School there was a bug and my friends were all freaked out. I just killed it, but I don't blame Emma. I'm scared of dogs and snakes and mice and lots of stuff like that.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails