Pages

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Knowing What You Need


Yesterday I felt sick. Not sick enough to throw in the towel on all of my duties and activities.

But sick enough to want to.

My head was fuzzy and congested and I was frEEzing all day long. I took my temperature with my newly acquired thermometer (my nod to being prepared for swine flu). I wondered if I had a fever because I was so cold.

My temperature was 95.6.

Then I remembered why I didn't previously have a thermometer. I really doubt I'm smart enough to work one properly.

Adam came home from work and found me huddled under a blanket, wearing a long sleeved t-shirt, a sweater and his Yale sweatshirt. (That sweatshirt is thick and cuddly like nothing else.) He wrapped me in his arms and blankets and I felt warm for the first time since my scalding early morning bath.

He had to go gather forms for scout rechartering (I know, I was jealous too). He told me he'd take the kids (getting more jealous?) and bring me something home to eat.

He asked me what I wanted.

I didn't know.

He ran through a list of foods: soup? pizza? hamburger?

No, no and decidedly no.

He continued listing foods and I finally said, "French bread."

French bread?

Yes.

Do you want light and fluffy French bread or a denser artisan kind? (See why I love my husband?)

I told him I didn't know.

Garlic bread? Croissant?

No. No.

French bread.

Then I realized that my French bread which I suddenly wanted would be a long time in coming since he was out gathering forms. I told him I'd go to the store and get it myself while he was gone. He protested but I told him I'd also get myself a movie to watch and sit by the fire.

I dragged my sorry looking, excessively layered self to the store. When I was almost there I remembered my hair. Yikes.

I selected some (still warm) French bread then unexpectedly decided what I really needed was a twice baked potato from the freezer case. I've never had such a thing but it sounded good. I rounded out the meal with some ginger ale and a bag of peanut M&Ms.

Because no one can be uncheered by peanut M&Ms.

I sat by the fire for my little fĂȘte.

I didn't eat much.

Because I was sick.

But I felt better.

Because I'm glad my world includes a warm house with a fireplace, a warm husband with the desire to care for me and peanut M&Ms.

No one can be uncheered by peanut M&Ms.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails