Pages

Monday, November 9, 2009

Freedom

When I was in college, my roommate's grandparents went on a trip to Germany and brought her back this:



It's a bit of the Berlin Wall. Knowing I'm sentimental with pack rat tendencies (and she decidedly is not), she asked me if I wanted it.

Yes.

Today is the twenty year anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall. I love that I have this little bit of history. It reminds me of freedom. It reminds me that I can go where I want, say what I want, worship how I want.

Freedom.

I've been thinking about freedom and its paradoxical nature. It's strange: the more obedient, self disciplined and respectful of authority you are, the more freedom you'll have.

Now if I can just get my kids to understand that...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails