Pages

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Slips


A freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother. --unknown

On Saturday (a.k.a. the Big Wedding Day), my mother-in-law called to see if my niece Raelyn could borrow one of Emma's slips.

Sure, that is no problem at all except for one small difficulty.

Emma doesn't own a slip.

There was a certain amount of tongue clucking and angst heading my way over the phone.

I know, I know. My mom always made me wear a slip but she also made me wear long underwear in the winter and my mother wouldn't be caught dead barefoot so I can't live by her standards, can I?

So here's my question:

Do you make your daughter wear a slip?

Do you wear a slip?

Are we all disappointing our mothers and mothers-in-law or is it just me?

8 comments:

Katie said...

I always had to wear a slip, too! I rarely wear one, now, and neither of my girls have them. Wouldn't even know where to find them in HK, lol

Anonymous said...

It looks like someone is giving Anonymous a bad name. My goodness. That wasn't Marianne in case you are wondering.

We only wear slips around here if the dress/skirt is extremely see through.

lifeatthewhitehouse said...

I guess I'm old-fashioned! I always wear a slip, and I make Heidi wear one too! Otherwise I feel naked! (Tee hee)

Mark Dahl said...

Of course you should wear a slip Thelma. How embarrassing that you don't. Were you born in a barn?
Your mother

Whitney Shane said...

I never wear one. The closest thing I have to a slip is Spanx.

Leslie said...

Maggie actually requested a slip when she was old enough to realize what they were. She always wants to be well-dressed...poor girl deserves a mother that has the same yearning! I only wear one on the occasions that anonymous noted...see through dress/skirt.

Christie said...

Gave up slips forever the day I moved out of my mother's house to head for college. Honestly, if you can see through a skirt, it's not a skirt I'll buy in the first place. Slips have no home past 1969 in my book.

Olivia Cobian said...

I wear them, but Lili doesn't.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails