Pages

Friday, November 6, 2009

Gee...Thanks

Back before there was "highly capable", back when it was called "academically talented", my sister Marianne was highly capable. (Actually, she was Academically Talented too.) She's always always been highly capable.

And if you think it was easy growing up as her sort of capable sister then no, you would be wrong.

I talked to Marianne yesterday and she told me she was in need of bolstering. She told me it had been her worst ever day of home schooling.

I confided that a few days ago I'd come as close as I ever had to throwing in the towel.

We shared our tales from the trenches and we felt better. It's reassuring to know that you're not alone with your particular brand of craziness.

When it was time to hang up the phone because we both had Things To Do, I told Marianne that I appreciated her. "I'm so glad I have you to talk to about this. You Understand."

Marianne acknowledged that if it weren't for the support of her sisters and our mom she would have quit a long time ago. She said, with slight sarcasm, "So thanks."

I said, "Thanks for making it so I'm so busy."

She said, "Thanks for making it so my house is not as clean."

"Thanks for making it so I'm cranky every day."

"Thanks a lot."

See what I mean? Our own brand of craziness...

When I look at the mothers that are my mom and Marianne, Olivia, Jennifer, Katie and Melanee, I feel like I'm not in such bad company if I can just be like them.

Highly capable.

It's my big endeavor.

4 comments:

JoLyn said...

Oh goodness, woman. If you're not highly capable, then you fake it really well. I'm constantly impressed by you.

Melanee said...

I think perhaps we should give me a little more time to see if I truly am a highly capable mother. Two weeks is a rather short time to prove one's merit as a mother. But I'm glad that I associate with you women. What great examples. You included.

Anonymous said...

I'm with JoLyn. You've always been highly capable. Love, M

Janet said...

Here, Here! I concur with JoLyn and M.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails