Pages

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Recconaissance Mission at Bellevue Square

Last night we decided to take Mark to the Lego store in an attempt to reign in his list making of Lego codes:


(he writes his sevens--quite by design--like his dad)

It was going to be an easy little trip. We made sure of that.

First, we planned to go while Braeden was gone camping with the scouts. Braeden wields way too much power. We learned that the hard way during the Half Birthday Lego Aisle At Target Incident of '09.

Secondly, we had assured Mark we weren't actually going to get him a Lego set now, we were only looking. And he understood.

Then we stopped by and visited Grandma Geri before our scamper down 405 to Bellevue. Mark told her all about our trip to the Lego store. He told her that he had to get a set under $30. (He came up with that number himself and I jumped at it.)

Geri said, "Now Mark. If your family went to the movie, they would spend about $50. (Which is why we don't go to the movie all that often.) That's for 2 hours. If you went to the movies twice, that would be $100, for 4 hours of fun." Mark nodded, not sure where this was going.

Adam and I looked at each other. We were sure where this was going.

Geri continued with a mischievous smile directed our way, "If you got a Lego set for $100, you would play with it for 4 hours every day for a month. That would be less than a dollar a day!"

Mark didn't quite get what she was saying but he did get that she was on his side. (I was grateful that Braeden wasn't there. He would have gotten exactly what she was talking about...and would have remembered and internalized it.)

We scooted Mark out of there before his cognitive skills grasped his grandma's brand of accounting.

The Lego store lived up to its billing. So many Lego Star Wars sets and all at Mark's eye level. He started pulling huge unwieldy boxes off the shelves and studying the backs. That's where the important information is for Mark...what guys are included; will the pieces be adaptable to other building pursuits.

Every box Mark was analyzing was in the over $100 range. Before things got out of hand I pointed to several small boxes. "Out of this and this and this and this, which would you pick?" More examining of boxes. Finally Mark made his selection and I breathed a small sigh of relief.

The next stop was the Apple store to feed Emma's ipod yearnings (she's not getting one...the little earbuds don't fit in her cute little ears but she likes to look) and to feed Adam's curiosity for What's New. As for me, I sidled over to Fireworks to get my fill of delights.

We stopped at Specialties Bakery for a treat for the kids but I did not go home empty handed.

At Fireworks I found this magnet:


I'm already Thelma.

I guess you're all Louise.

XOXO

4 comments:

Olivia Cobian said...

Did Geri mean less than $1 an hour?

Thelma said...

Probably...I more than likely wrote it wrong. My math skills are shifty like that.

Anonymous said...

I will not approve on it. I assume nice post. Specially the title-deed attracted me to be familiar with the sound story.

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails