Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2019

My mom and me

My mom and I both like to read.  We both like the same kinds of books.  We both like to quilt.  (Although I only like the hand quilting part--I'm abysmal at the piecing part.)  We both loved homeschooling our children. (I wasn't homeschooled; some of my siblings were.) We both like to take walks and we both approach things in a methodical manner.  We both wish I'd practiced the piano more when I was younger.

Unfortunately, I'm not enough like my mom though.

Growing up, sometimes my mom would find a mistake that some company or bank had made.  She'd get on the phone and get it cleared up.  She'd say to me, "I spend half my life correcting other peoples' accounting mistakes."

(My mom and I both like to exaggerate when we're trying to make a point.)

Sadly, I spend half my life correcting my own accounting mistakes.  My mom is a CPA. (Is that even the correct vernacular?  Does she have a CPA or is she a CPA?  That shows you how much I don't know about accounting.)

I am not.

If I were an accountant I would have been fired a long time ago.

Yesterday, when I was paying bills, I realized I had made a mistake.  I spent 2 hours and 15 minutes on the phone with various people.  I have a new best friend, Kevin, who is an employee at my bank.  He was SUPER helpful and even participated in a 3 way call with me.  With Kevin on the line too, I finally, finally was able to get results.

(Kevin for president!)

I was demoralized after the entire experience.  I was telling Mark my woeful tale and he said, "It's OK.  Everybody makes mistakes."

I went on to tell him all the other boneheaded accounting related mistakes I've made.

He said, "Maybe you should talk to your mom for lessons."

I don't know.  Perhaps my problem is beyond something that you can teach.  I'm just grateful there are Kevins in the world to save the day.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails