Pages

Monday, January 6, 2020

And then there were three

Emma moved back to Provo this weekend.  We will miss having her around but Provo is preferable to Paris as far as I am concerned.

Our house feels quieter and Emma doesn't even make that much noise.

A few years ago, Olivia gave us each starts of a Christmas cactus that belonged to our great-grandma Olivia Egbert.  Emma took hers to Provo and mine is blooming.

It makes me happy and reminds me of the Olivias in my life that I love (great-grandma, aunt, sister, niece).



We spent the weekend helping Emma move, buying a car for her to drive, and finishing up last minute projects including but not limited to a big DI run.  We also went to dinner Saturday night with the Porters.  Even though we live across the street from each other, we don't get together often which is a function of busy lives.  It was great to sit across the table from each other for three hours and just visit.  It never ceases to amaze me how much we have in common and how close our children would have been if they'd grown up together.  They are a lot alike.

Our waiter was a young college student who lives in our stake.  He recognized Dave as President Porter and it was like a celebrity sighting.  The owner, in his low slung black jeans and a belt that resembled one of those dog collars with spiky things on them, came out to talk to us because he heard "he had a holy roller here."  The owner brought us freshly made pico de gallo and some apricot syrup that was his grandmother's recipe.  The waiter requested a picture with Dave so they took one and Dave said he'd text it to the waiter's dad who is a bishop in our stake.

Nola said, "This happens all the time."

The waiter wondered who Adam and I were.  Just neighbors.  Civilians.

Speaking of church, our ward moved to a new building because another ward was too big for that building and needed to switch.  So now we have to drive four minutes to church instead of two.  Please keep us in your thoughts during this difficult time.

Ready or not, we're back to school and work this week.

I have my classroom more or less ready.  I cleaned my desk which was a bit of an undertaking.  I have the new date written in light blue marker on the board--felt wintry.  I am looking forward to seeing my students.

Adam gave me this for Christmas.


I have a little jar of pennies I will give them as rewards so they can buy Skittles.  (Always Skittles because I really hate Skittles and am not even a bit tempted to eat them.)  I sort of think they'll lose their minds when they see it.  Third graders are an extremely easy crowd.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails