Pages

Monday, January 27, 2020

Weekending

I think Adam and I are at a go-to-weddings stage of life.  Our friends' kids and my young women from when I was serving there are getting married.

We went to a wedding both last weekend and this weekend.  Last weekend was Lisa and Gary's son, Davis's wedding.  Lisa and Gary were our friends in Connecticut and Davis was one of Braeden's first friends.  Also, Lisa and Gary are the type of friends you can see only a few times in the last 20 years and still have lots to talk about.

This weekend was the wedding of one of "my girls."  I also haven't seen her for a few years.  Her life has taken her down different paths but we still hugged and she enthusiastically told me about her job and son and she beamed at both of us when she introduced me to her new husband.

When Lisa and I were talking a week ago, we were talking about being Young Women presidents.  (She is one right now and she loves it.)  I told her I hadn't loved it.  I said that I had realized sometimes we have callings because we are great at the job and have a lot to offer and sometimes we have callings because we need to learn things.  I was definitely in the latter category when I had my fish out of water stint as YW president.  Still.  When I see some of those girls, we love each other.  They saw past my faltering and we learned from each other.

Adam and I also went to the Hale Theater on Saturday.  Emma got us tickets to the matinee show of The Man With the Pointed Toes.  We both enjoyed it and critiqued the ending while driving home.  We think the same about many things and sometimes I wonder if we are turning into the same person.

Then, we stopped at Walmart on the way home from the theater.  Standing in line, Adam was trying to guess which candy bar I would choose out of each row of candy bars.  He was wrong most of the time.

Mystery is still alive in this marriage.

Saturday night in a rare and wonderful turn of events, we were home and Mark was home and we built some of our Lego set from Christmas that has been sadly neglected.

Adam and Mark said we could watch the PBS version of Les Miserables while we built and I said that I was going to watch it 6 times in a few weeks so I needed to not watch Les Miserables.  Mark went to the basement first to start building and when we went down, he was singing along to Les Mis music.  Adam said, "We need to find different music."

We've got to keep a lid on Les Mis or yours truly will go crazy.

(And you know Mark had a perfect alternative playlist queued up.)

We finished up the Lego set.  My job is sorting (and I worked on some parent teacher conference prep while I waited for them to catch up to my sorting).  Adam and Mark are the builders.


The little details are delightful.  Look at that parking meter!


Mark brought the whole thing upstairs and set it up on the counter to show "the kids" which is what we collectively call Braeden and Anna and Emma and Desi.  (Although this week Desi stayed home to sleep which I 100% supported.  Even the Energizer Bunny needs sleep occasionally.)


The top floor above the diner has a recording studio so Mark rummaged through his other Lego bins and created The Million Dollar Quartet:

Jerry Lewis, Carl Perkins, Elvis and Johnny Cash

Emma showed the others her pictures from Rise of the Resistance and they were appropriately awed. I think telling her brothers about it was half the fun for Emma because she knew how much they would love it.

The force has awakened in Emma (see what I did there?) and she is interested in Star Wars.  Since she got up at 4:00 AM for Star Wars, I guess she has skin in the game.  She and her roommate Fiona have been practicing light saber moves with Fiona's new light saber.  They pulled out some light sabers from our mostly broken collection.  Emma was excited to show off her skills for her brothers.  They showed off their moves, spinning light sabers and sparring like they've been doing it since they were preschoolers.  (Mark absolutely has.)  Emma said, "Oh,"  followed by, "Oh."

Then she enlisted their help to teach her.  She lamented her wasted youth.  "I should have been doing this when I was six!"

All the clashing and crashing of plastic tubes brought me right back to a time period I don't miss too much of broken furniture and threats (by me) to not break things.


When Emma wants to learn something, she wants to learn something and Adam and I finally had to shut down the lessons because Braeden and Anna wanted to go home and they had all ridden together.

I like weekends.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

We Cobians are super impressed by the Davis Lego prowess.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails