Pages

Friday, January 10, 2020

Grateful Friday

Mostly I am grateful that it is Friday.

It has been sort of a rough week and I am tired.

Yesterday was a doozy.  I had a student have a come apart and I took him to the principal.  My laptop wouldn't work at all so I had Kate email the district tech guy and literally seconds before he walked in, my laptop worked again.

So he was cranky.

He pulled my desk away from the wall and made a holy mess trying to find the ethernet cable and while that was happening the principal walked back in with the recalcitrant child and the class was in an uproar.

And that was just the beginning.

The tech guy lectured me for having brought my own Apple TV from home to use.  (I ended up donating it to the school so he will back off.)

I had two different cheating incidents.  I had a ring of girls that would not stay in their seats.  I stopped read aloud mid sentence because they were being so disruptive.  "I guess you don't want to hear me read."

Today they're doing phonics during read aloud time.  Seriously.

About an hour and a half before the end of the day, I gave them a talking to.  I mustered all my mom skills, honed by years of lecturing my own.  Nice Mrs. Davis had left the building.

One of the cheaters was crying big tears and hugged me and sobbed into my shoulder that she was sorry.  And they were silent for the rest of the day.  Silent.  And that never happens.  Like ever.  I can't emphasize that enough.

So I'm grateful it is Friday for all of our sakes.

I'm grateful to be able to spend a little more time with Mark and Adam.  I'm grateful this weekend I'll be able to celebrate my first born's birthday.  I'm grateful I can go to the store and buy more super glue so I can repair my cracked fingers (I traded always gray skies for cracking fingers when I moved away from the Pacific Northwest).

I'm grateful this girl is in the country.



She is going to Disneyland next weekend (because if anyone needs a trip, it's her?) with her roommates' family, the Swensons.  Her roommates are twins.  They are also theater people so the natural choice is to get together at the Swensons (who live right down the hill from us) and make Mickey Mouse ears for the trip.  Emma's inspiration was Marie from The Aristocats.


Emma's always loved Marie.  It occurs to me now that I don't know if she loved France first so she loved that movie or she loved that movie so she loved France.

In either case, Emma stopped by to pick up some textbooks that had arrived from Amazon for her so I got to see her.

And that makes me grateful.



3 comments:

Geri said...

So nice to see a smiling Emma.

Marianne said...

Emma is adorable in those mouse ears!

Olivia Cobian said...

Emma looks beautiful! I'm so glad she's well.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails