Pages

Friday, January 31, 2020

Grateful Friday

I am grateful parent teacher conferences are over.  I don't dislike them, it's just that they are exhausting.  Yesterday I was at the school for over 12 hours and pretty much that entire time I was speaking actual words to people.  I need more blank space in my life than that.

***

I am grateful that I got to have parent teacher conferences.  It was really nice to meet with my students' parents.  They are a good group of people.  All of them were very kind to me and some of them helped shed some light on their students' situations and hopefully I shed a little light as well.

One guy, who has such a charming smile you can't help smile back, turned in a blank math test yesterday with the word YEET on it.  (Third grade attempt at humor.)  He must not have connected the dots that he and his parents were my 4:45.  I slid the test across the desk to them.  His parents were shocked and not at all happy and I just had to smile and say, "I'm sure he can try again tomorrow."

When they walked out of the room they were talking consequences and I just have to hand him the test back today because they did my work for me on that one.

Nice timing (for me--not so much for him).

***

I say it over and over but I am over and over grateful for the people I work with.  We had dinner brought in last night and I sat at the big kids' table (with the sixth grade teachers).  I don't interact with them as often because we have different schedules but it still felt like I was having dinner with friends.

The new principal--who's starting next week--came into my classroom last night and we chatted a little.  He seems really nice and the teachers' collective boots on the ground connections at the school where he used to be are all very positive.

***

I'm grateful for good men.  Brother Cordon in our ward is a tireless champion of scouts.  He has wheeled his wheelchair up to our boys many a Sunday to check in with them and encourage them.  His health has landed him in a care center so he was going to miss the last Eagle court of honor where five of his boys were being honored.

That wasn't OK with Adam.

Adam visited him and downloaded an app on Brother Cordon's phone so Adam could live stream the court of honor to him.  Adam positioned someone with Brother Cordon to be tech support and he took all the equipment to record (along with every conceivable back up, including the huge battery that goes to our lawn mower but can convert to a power source to plug things into).  He was not leaving anything to chance.

Adam sent me this screenshot:



And then after the court of honor, they went to give Brother Cordon their mentor pins.



It makes me teary to think of the impact this one good man has had on these boys.

And I'm also pretty grateful for Adam for recognizing the value of including Brother Cordon in the celebration as much as possible.

The world needs good men and from where I sit, the world has a lot of them.

***

I'm grateful it's the weekend!  I love being able to spend more time with my people.  We have a "business dinner" planned with Mark tonight where we are going to discuss his school schedule for next year.  Wish me luck; we have different opinions.

2 comments:

Marianne said...

I love this! Made me cry.

Olivia Cobian said...

This made me cry as well, and I don't like scouting even a little bit. I do love the good people, though, who sincerely and lovingly mentor young people (like Brother Cordon) and the sensitive, other-oriented folks (like Adam) who think in great detail of how to bless the lives of others.

I remember when Edgar and Adam first met. Edgar knew almost no English and he was at our parents' house feeling awkward and out of place among all the Americans. Adam went and found a world atlas, sat down by Edgar, and asked Edgar to show him where he was from in Mexico. It was perfect and so thoughtful. I'm crying about it now. And, see, I've high jacked your blog post.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails