Pages

Thursday, January 16, 2020

Multi-Tasking

Last night I was bolting around the kitchen straightening up in anticipation of Marie Louise coming over to do family history.  Adam was working in his office and I was hanging up my coat in the closet by his office door.  I said to him, "I wish just for a little while I didn't have this hurry hurry hurry going on in my head."

I spend most of my waking hours trying to maximize time.  And this strapped feeling is like an epidemic.  I talked to both sisters yesterday while I was driving (the only time I really have time to talk on the phone) and they both feel up against it and seem to be about as busy as they've ever been.

It feels discouraging.

I don't like being busy.

I try to be as efficient as possible in hopes of some mythical time when I'm on top of things.  Since I'm in a constant struggle to fit everything into my school day, I started having my students practice handwriting (cursive) while I read aloud to them.

Yesterday, when I told them to pull out their handwriting, one of them asked, "Are we being punished?"  (Maybe they think that because I got the idea to combine the two coincidentally after the day I stopped reading to them because they were being disruptive.)

I said, "No, you're not being punished.  But you need to learn to write in cursive."

He shrugged, pulled out his handwriting book, and said, "That's true."

Sometimes my job feels like herding cats and other times they're reasonable and compliant like that.  There's no predicting.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

What a good idea--handwriting during read-alouds... I need to try this! Love you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails