Pages

Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Come read with me

Yesterday the third grade had Come Read With Me.  It is a time when the parents/guardians/any relative really comes and reads with the students for about 30 minutes.

A week ago I sat my students down for a heart to heart.  I explained to them that whenever Braeden and Emma had anything at school, I was there.  Now, Mark has his CCR (college and career readiness) meeting with the school counselor and I can't go because I'll be there at the school with my third graders.  (Adam can go which is a relief to me.)

I assured them I don't love Mark any less, I just have work.

I promised them that their mom/dad/etc. really wanted to be there so even if they didn't come, it didn't mean they didn't love them less.

Not even half of my students had a parent who could come.  A few parents doubled up with multiple kids.  I paired some students together and I walked around listening to the students without parents there read a page or two.  Everyone seemed fine with it all and it felt like a successful event.

Later, I heard that on Monday, when the third grade teachers were at training, it was accidentally announced in the Monday morning school wide assembly, that the next day was Come Follow Me for the third grade.

The mistake delighted all the teachers.  A lot.

I love where I work.

1 comment:

Mark Dahl said...

Oh Thelma, you made me laugh and cry in this one. You're doing such a good job teaching.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails