Pages

Thursday, January 9, 2020

Not always sunshine and roses

Yesterday it snowed and we had inside recess.  The remaining hours of the day were awful.  Awful.  Those kids need recess and so do I.  (15 minutes of silence.  Please and thank you.)

Mark's monitor went haywire...it does sometimes...so he was up late and dragging after school and he had a work party he needed to attend.  Even though he turned off his monitor so it would stop alerting him, his pump vibrated all night intermittently.  Not a perfect way to sleep.

Adam had a hard day at work.  Also, late nights.  Multiple late nights.

The best idea I had was to light candles and reset expectations last night and hope for better things today.  Mark was eating at the theater and Adam and I met for a quick dinner at Costa Vida.  The kind of dinner when you eat your chicken salad as fast as you can eat and then bolt from the table.  I hurried home to meet with Marie Louise for family history and Adam hurried to the church to meet with the deacons.

Mark enjoyed his party.  Adam, who is sort of brilliant with boys that age, seemed to have a good time.  As a culmination/reward for them learning more about the priesthood duties, Adam let them search our new church building for a ladder and climb up to see if the random door in the organ pipes would open.  It did and they were all fascinated.

Doing family history with Marie Louise was good for me.  She always thanks me profusely for helping with "our" family because that's what she calls it.  I love getting together with her though.  We laugh a lot and compare notes on raising young adult children and feel the Spirit as we link her family together.  Afterward we just sat on the couch and chatted awhile.  Even though I feel like I'm drowning in a sea of tasks undone, I thought the time well spent.

None of the angst of the day really went away.  I slept poorly and feel this press of anxiety about my upcoming evaluation and parent teacher conferences which aren't really as nerve wracking as they were when I was in my early twenties, but take a lot of work to prepare for.

Sometimes we're cranky (me) and tired (all of us) and things feel bleak (the weather), but I'm glad I have this life and these people to share it with.

The slog continues.




1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

You're doing a good job!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails