Pages

Tuesday, July 28, 2020

I guess you could say I'm from pioneer stock

I had been curious ever since my conversation with Adam about how many of my family were pioneers.

Sunday afternoon, Adam and I sat down and figured it out.  Having a husband with a curious mind has its advantages.

Adam marked up a fan chart and I researched.


Everyone within the black line was either an overland pioneer or descended from one. (The little bumps outside the chart are pioneers that were off the chart.) My curious minded husband figured out that was 61% of the 128 people represented.  The ones with blue dots missed the overland pioneer time frame and came to Utah in the 1870s by train.

I keep thinking about it.

Each of those ancestors left home, whether it was England or Scotland, Sweden or Norway, or the eastern United States.  They left home and made a hard trip that I wouldn't have wanted to make.  (I like not camping.)  They buried children and spouses along the way and landed in an arid climate that in no way reminded them of England, Scotland, Sweden, Norway, or the eastern United States.  They built homes and churches and schools and roads and libraries and temples.  They raised children and  planted gardens and went on rescue missions to help other pioneers along the way.

I love living in this place where my roots are so firmly planted.

Their faith matters to me.  I hope I can carry on their legacy.



1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

I love fan charts. They're so pretty. Well done!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails