Pages

Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Morale booster

Yesterday I was going to stay home and do work around here until the flooring guys (who returned!) were using a tool that sounded worse than a dentist drill.

I went to my classroom.

I did boring tasks that needed to be done like sort out my fluency binders and cut the laminating apart that I had done the previous day.

I ran into two other teachers in the work room.

I stopped to chat.  I asked what they thought about the proposed Alpine School District plan.  One of them hated it and the other one clearly didn't want to talk about it.  I don't think it's terrible.  I'm just glad we're going to be back in the classroom.  Still, things felt kind of gloomy.

I went back to my classroom and was toiling away but losing motivation because they were boring tasks and also I'll probably have to redo some of the fluency binders when I know the reading levels of my new students.

Then I heard children.  I heard laughing and yelling and running.  I heard adult voices trying to wrangle.

It warmed my heart.

Later I saw that the principal had his children at the school and was trying to keep them civil.  I said, "I love hearing children inside the school!"

It has been quiet and weird and empty since mid-March.

He joked, "I'll send them down to your classroom then."

I would have taken them in a heartbeat.  I would have sent them to the reading corner and had them sit in one of my empty reading chairs and read some of my neglected books.

Schools need children.

So do teachers.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails