Pages

Monday, July 6, 2020

Such a nice day

I loved the 4th of July.  Here's what happened.

I watched the flag unfurl in the canyon by the dawn's early light.  From my front porch.

I sat on the deck waiting for the fighter jets to fly over our house but they didn't do that this year.  Thanks a lot coronavirus.  The fighter jets have to social distance?  I did enjoy my flag bunting blowing in the breeze and watching quail in the yard which are the quirkiest birds alive.

We had a bunch of stuff to do and I was hampered by this darn cast but I had a list and a bossy persona.  Like Esther, I was born for such a time as this and I gave everyone jobs.

Adam made us a delicious sandwich for lunch.  Turkey and bacon and guacamole and tomato and lettuce.  He is a sandwich whiz.

Emma and I painted our nails and toenails.  (It was a little wonky with my cast but I did it.)  I love having a daughter.

Braeden and Anna and Scott (B's friend) came over.  Scott's going to Yale for graduate school next month.  We told him about all the best pizza restaurants and the correct way to pronounce New Haven.  They prepped the corn they brought and the girls and I made a flag out of skewers with blueberries, raspberries and marshmallows.

We walked across the street to the Porters and enjoyed a dinner together.  All the food was great and the company was great and unlike us, their backyard is in the shade.

Back home, we watched Hamilton on Disney+.  My goodness.  I loved it!  I had never seen it and it certainly lived up to its hype.  It felt like a good 4th of July activity.  From our founding, we have been a country of big ideas and strong egos and specific agendas all working toward a more perfect union.  I loved the messages of forgiveness and tolerance I heard.  When Aaron Burr sang that he should have "known the world was wide enough for both Hamilton and me," I remembered that the world is wide enough for both all the people I don't agree with and me too.

We moved to the deck and watched the valley pop and explode with fireworks.  I love fireworks here as much as I hated them in Washington.  The difference is that here they are across the way and in Washington they were in our neighborhood.

Live in a place where fireworks are forbidden.  That's the secret to happiness.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails