Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2020

If you chance to meet a frown...

...do not let it stay.

If I'm going to post about feeling unhappy, I need to report back when things brighten up.

I was feeling very discouraged about school.  Besides feeling like everything was sort of impossible, I was told that we couldn't do our literacy the way we had planned.  I combed the district plan and formulated a pitch and asked my principal and he gave me approval to do what we were planning.

I really like our principal.  He's funny and flexible and more worried about students and teachers than he is about being in charge.  We're lucky to have him.

I stopped at Walmart on the way home from school to look for plastic bins for my classroom that were a part of the plan Janelle and I came up with for keeping students' literacy books separate and isolated from each other.  But I couldn't find my mask!  I must have left it in my classroom.  I 100% approve of Walmart requiring masks by the way.  I think it will make a difference because EVERYONE goes to Walmart.

When I got home, I asked Mark if he wanted to go back to Walmart with me.  I wanted to know the price of the bins so I could compare them to ones I found online.

To my surprise, he said yes.

We told each other dumb jokes while we drove and laughed and at one point he looked over at me and said, "I sure love you."

He is either curmudgeonly or the sweetest person I know.

Last night, Adam, Emma, Braeden and Anna and I went to a play!  (Mark had a priest quorum activity.  His first since March.  They sat on the lawn and ate watermelon at one of the boys' house who recently broke his arm and shoulder so can't participate in his senior year mountain bike season.  The boys' mission was to cheer him up.  I hope it helped a little.)

Emma's friend Sage was in A Midsummer Night's Dream.  We thought it was going to be at Castle Amphitheater where Adam and I had our first official date.  It is by the state mental hospital and an armed guard was there at a barricade to tell us that it definitely wasn't there.  Anna problem solved with her phone and Emma texted Sage and we learned it was actually at this tiny but beautiful venue at the base of Rock Canyon.  It was right next to the trail and some hikers would pause and watch for a few minutes.

The last time I saw A Midsummer Night's Dream, Mark's junior high was performing it.  This was a bit of a contrast (why do junior high kids even do Shakespeare?).  We all loved it.  I laughed a lot and was just super impressed by all the actors.  They all seemed to be about college aged and it reminded me that Utah County has a good thing going with its performing arts.  I guess that's why they do Shakespeare in junior high.

Yesterday was cooler and it rained a little.  We slept all night with the windows open (which never happens in July) and this morning the sky is blue and the world is washed clean and fresh.

Gray skies don't last.  The sun comes out and things improve.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails