Pages

Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Reality

I've been feeling like summer's date has all too short a lease and I'm thinking of all the things I was going to accomplish when summer stretched ahead of me like an open book.  Back when school was called for the year, I felt like I had oodles of time ahead of me.  I planned accordingly with a big old list.

The problem is my expectations.  Even though I did a lot of things on the list, I didn't do everything.  Everything is what I want to accomplish and of course, that is ridiculous.

I'm working on getting a better grip on the ridiculousness of that.

Still.

I want to knock some things off the everything list.  Yesterday I decided to look at some of the random fabric scraps I'd been saving for the future date when I wanted to do something with them.  I decided to sew some of them together and (maybe?) end up with a quilt.  Some of the other fabric could make a tablecloth.  Maybe.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Or maybe hope springs eternal and this time it would be magical.

I went upstairs for some thread.  Adam said, "What are you doing?"

I said, "I don't want to talk about it."

He saw the thread.

He laughed at me and put his arms around me and said, "Is this going to make you feel less stressed about all the things you want to do?  Starting a new project?"

I said, "Maybe."

But I knew the truth.  With all that I have to do with school and I've promised Mark I'd switch his bedroom with the guest bedroom (he wants to paint his new room but I said not yet), I knew that I really didn't have the time (or let's face it, the skill) to tackle several new sewing projects.

I gathered up all the remnants of fabric and put them in a big garbage bag to get rid of them.  (I hung onto the Marimekko fabric because I want to make pillows and that is something I can do.)

Sometimes you just have to let reality win the day.




2 comments:

Mark Dahl said...

I would keep the fabric. You don't need to do anything with it now. But you never know when you may want it. You may want to make quilt tops for your grandchildren--or tablecloths. I am glad I kept my fabric. You may even find your quilt scraps that we seem to be missing. I love you. Your mom.

Olivia Cobian said...

I need to take your words to heart. I never let reality win the day, and I still keep expecting to accomplish everything. Thanks for the reminder to recognize that I've already done a lot.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails