Pages

Thursday, August 6, 2020

Bendy brain

I have a friend whose son is on the autism spectrum. He went to a special school for awhile and they taught the kids to have bendy brains.

I keep reminding myself to have a bendy brain.  

A bendy brain doesn't come naturally to me.

Yesterday on my way to school, I got a phone call from my principal.  Janelle was substituting summer school and Kate is in Alaska for the summer so I was the one who got the phone call.  Decisions had to be made but I am the way way junior member of our 3rd grade team.  

It all had to do with how we are handling assessments (which we want to do because we know our kids are behind from last year) and back to school night which can't function in its normal way.

I made some preliminary changes and went into the office and talked to the principal a little more and then waited until after summer school and talked to Janelle a bit more.

We made tentative plans.

We tried to find our principal because we had more questions but couldn't (I don't know, the school isn't that big).

I decided to go home and clean the toy closet because 1) it was a disaster zone and 2) it is something I could control.  It is in no way urgent because it only gets used when little cousins visit but it was something I could see to completion.

Shout out to Adam who helped with the closet and put everything away with his mad Tetris skills.  Shout out to Mark for helping too and being my least sentimental child.  "Can we throw this away?"  

"Sure."

"How about this?"

"Yep."

It's like a breath of fresh air.

Then I texted more with Janelle.  Then Kate.  Then we emailed.

And guess what?  We have a plan.  Put three teachers together and they pragmatically will come up with a plan.  That is all.






No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails