Pages

Monday, August 3, 2020

Weekends with Emma and Mark

Saturday morning we all did chores around the house and then went to a late lunch at TruReligion.  I hadn't been there since last year and it was nice to be back.  I love that place.  And like Mark said, "It's great to get a Dr. Pepper the size of your skull."

Because of our delicious and late lunch, we weren't too hungry for dinner.  Since we were all four home for once in the evening, (I miss the quarantine days when everyone was for sure home.  Always.) we decided to watch Knives Out.  We watched it through Vid Angel, which was a good call.  There was clearly some language we missed hearing.

Emma and I assembled cheese and meat and crackers and fruit and vegetables onto a tray to take downstairs.  She popped some popcorn.

Then she said, "How long until Mark comes down here and throws hands?"

Often when we're on a trip, I want to stop at a grocery store for bread and cheese and fruit for dinner. Mark hates that.  He says, "That's NOT dinner."

Mark came down and surveyed what we had prepared.  He said, "OK, but that's not dinner."

In the midst of a heatwave we were in the basement under blankets, watching our movie.  The basement is its own climate.

We liked the movie a lot.  Everyone helped carry stuff upstairs and when I walked into the kitchen, I heard Emma say, "Alexa, play Spooky Scary Skeletons."

Then this happened.



Adam took the black and white picture.

Emma said, "When the vibes hit, they hit. I don't make up the rules."

Then we read scriptures.

I went to bed and Mark made himself some scrambled eggs.

He said, "That wasn't dinner."

***

Sunday afternoon we got an email from Mark's drama teacher.  For the musical theater class that he is enrolled in, it turns out he will need to do another audition the first week of school.  One minute of a song.  Adam and Mark and I were talking about ideas.

Mark said, "We need Emma."

We called Emma down (she'd been napping) and Mark sung for her.  I loved the way her face lit up when he was doing well and the way he mostly looked at her when he was singing.  Her approval matters to him.

And he has it.

I'm glad those two are mine.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails