Pages

Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Day 1

I slept through my alarm!  After all week of waking up waaaaaay before my alarm with my anxiety driven internal clock.  I. Slept. Through. My. Alarm.

Granted, I was very tired.

Still.

I forgot my lunch.  Left it in the fridge. (Adam brought it to me later because he is hands down the best husband in the world.)

The internet wasn't working at the school.  (The district will "try to increase capacity."  Thanks guys.) The teachers had created videos of all the school wide rules and procedures because we weren't going to have a school wide assembly.  But the internet wasn't working so I scrambled to adjust.

I forgot to have the students stack their chairs at the end of the day.  I was so caught up in all the new routines and weirdness with masks that I forgot something we did every single day last year and should have been second nature.

It was a day.

There were lots of good things too.  It delighted me to see last year's class.  Several of the girls ran up to me and hugged me and I just went ahead and let them even though we have this pandemic going on.

The boys were less huggy but seemed just as happy to see me and I was thrilled to see them.  They are taller.  I told one boy he looked like a 4th grader and he said, "Well, I went to Las Vegas."

These are the kind of incongruous wacky things that make my day complete.

I was equally delighted by my current class.  What a bunch of cuties.  They eagerly asked questions and answered questions and doggedly wore their masks and needed a bandaid (a girl, very concerned, held up her finger and said, "I have a hole!") and shoes tied.  I heard the whole story about why those certain shoes were worn (her older sister suggested they matched her mask.) Later in the day they were much more chatty and it made me happy.  

The entire day, despite the frantic nature of it all, made me happy.

***

My baby is a senior!  I love this kid so much and if I think too much about the whole senior business I cry so I am going to give it a pass.

Maybe it will go away if I ignore it.

Adam took his picture yesterday morning on the front porch (even though he was parked in the garage).  I think it felt more symbolic or something.

I didn't sign one disclosure document last night.  I'd better get on that.  Mark said the only thing from yesterday is a paper saying I can't sue if Mark cuts off his finger in woodworking.

So there goes that money making opportunity.  As John Ralphio would say, "Minor cuts and bruises, major dollars and cents."


3 comments:

Geri said...

What a handsome senior. 👨🏻‍🎓 I cried for you thinking about the cute little guy that used to be. ❤️

Mark Dahl said...

I'm thankful that you and Mark can go to school. Not around here. I'm sad he's a senior too. It goes so fast. Have a great day.

Olivia Cobian said...

Wow! Good job with all the things.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails