Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Tired, but happy, but tired

My classroom is shaping up and I am happy there.

My team made unit learning plans and finessed our curriculum maps and we feel smug with our accomplishments.  It turns out unit learning plans are our love language.

I pointed out to two teachers that they needed to remove the film from their face shields.  When you're one of the oldest teachers, you kind of become the mom in the group.

Adam cut out hundreds of fabric squares for my students to use to clean their desks each day.  I'll take a laundry hamper and bring home the pile each week to wash and reuse the next.

I had multiple conversations with teachers yesterday about the pros and cons of different masks and face shields.  It suddenly feels like a key to our happiness.  The world feels bizarre.


The AC isn't working well (which isn't news) but happily it does eventually get cold and it stays cold most of the school year.

My classroom was 80 degrees all day and I felt wilted about 5:00 and went home.

Even though I still had A LOT to do.

I do one item on my list and think of three more to add to my list.

Last night I was exhausted.  My teacher stamina has not kicked in.  We went to MOD for dinner.  I was sitting at a table facing the door while Adam ordered (gotta save those tables since half of them are off limits).  About five guys came in wearing the heavy boots and tired expressions of having worked outside all day.  A few of them had masks down around their chins or just covering their mouths. One didn't have a mask on at all.

I made eye contact with each of them as they walked by and one by one they either put their mask in place or fished it out of their pocket.  Mark said it was the trifecta of being a mom and a teacher and over 40 so I'm not afraid of anyone.

Several people have asked me how we will enforce children wearing masks.  The same way we get them to stay in their seats and raise their hands and not poke each other in line.  It won't be perfect, but we'll do our best. 

If nothing else, I have the trifecta going for me.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails