Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Happy whirlwind

Yesterday I had an all day meeting with my team and I loved it.  Because I love my team.

We dove in and talked curriculum and logistics and showed off our school supplies to each other.  There was a lot of "oooooh I want to do that too!"  I shared with them what I'd learned over the summer for writing and science and they broke down the first day of school procedures for me (I was a humanities teacher last year for the first day of school).

We had a panic attack over a district assessment we needed to give in late October.  There was going to be multiplication on the assessment and we start multiplication in late October.  We puzzled over our curriculum map, trying to decide if we should switch things around but completely resisting wanting to because our curriculum map is like it is for a reason.

The three of us trooped into our principal's office and laid it all out for him and then we noticed in tiny print that the math assessment is optional.

Oh.

We thanked him for his time and I said something about us being really great at...teaching...reading, if not doing it.

We were relieved.

It was a productive day and then I hurried home because we were having dinner guests!

Braeden and Anna and Anna's family, the Carlsons came for dinner.  We puzzled about whether we wanted to squeeze around our table or move furniture and set up a long table configuration or just have two separate tables.  We decided in a nod to social distancing to do two tables (and also, most importantly, that was easiest).

We put the unmarried kids at one table and they chatted like they've been lifetime friends and the three married couples sat at one table and we chatted like we've been lifetime friends.

It's amazing to me how immediately comfortable we feel around the Carlsons.  I'm so grateful to them and their goodness and their lovely daughter.  

We had a great evening together and enjoyed each other immensely.  I wish they didn't live so far away so we could get together more often.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails