Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Friends

 Kate got married yesterday, in Eden, UT.  Janelle and I went to represent her work friends.  We wore dresses to school.  When we walked in the faculty room at lunch time the 4th grade teachers said, "Wow, did you plan to dress up on the same day?"

Janelle said, "Yes."

Then we explained we were going to Kate's wedding.  It's not like we texted each other and said, "Hey, I'll wear a dress if you do."

It threw me off to wear a dress.  I usually wear pants that are the closest approximation to jeans that I can get away with.  I didn't have pockets and I realize I need pockets to be a teacher.  I always have my phone (for a timer and google translate) and a pen and a couple of paper clips in my pockets.  

Maybe I need a tool belt.

We left straight from school (which will let you know that today we aren't super prepared) and Janelle drove.  It was an hour and a half each way and we for sure didn't run out of things to talk about.

Kate looked beautiful.

When she was walking with her new husband down the aisle after the wedding we smiled and waved at her and she smiled back but was too dignified to wave.

The friends I've made since I've started teaching have been an unexpected benefit of working.

Kate's husband is the nephew of one of Janelle's college roommates.  I enjoyed meeting her and lingering nearby while they chatted.  It made me think about my own college roommates and how, like Janelle and hers, we can pick up and talk like we have never been apart.

Make new friends but keep the old.  I am grateful for friends.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails