Pages

Monday, December 20, 2021

Christmas break!

It is so nice to be home and lazy this morning.  Yesterday I would remember that I didn't have school the next day and it was a lovely thing to remember.

Friday was a rollicking day.  This was on a student's desk.  



It was 8:05 AM.  Two Mountain Dews, a pile of candy, and...a snowflake.

I had him put the sodas away.

Everyone had a candy cane in their mouths, because the aids were passing them out.

Everyone was excited about their pajamas.  "How did they know our sizes?" and "I loved mine!  They are what I would have picked!"  It made me feel like I had done alright in the assigning.  One girl said hers were way too big.  You can't win them all.  Another one told her too big was better than too small.

Practical.

We managed a math lesson then I had a variety of vaguely educational activities for them:  multiplication coloring pages, Christmas mad libs.  The mad libs were a hit.  They would be doubled over in laughter because they were so hilarious.  They would ask me to read them aloud to them.  They were kind of dumb, but I remember how funny mad libs used to be.

We celebrated two birthdays that would happen during the Christmas break and one boy brought frosted sugar cookies for the occasion.  A mom brought donuts.  I saved them and said they could take them home.  We had our "party" which was pin art with Christmas music in the background.  When it was time for lunch, someone said, "So when are we going to have our party?"

I said, "That was it."

So it wasn't exciting, but it was nice.  The kids liked their projects and I didn't feel like my bones had been picked clean, which is often how I feel after a class party.

They went to lunch and I tidied up.  I put their presents (books) and ornaments I made on their desks along with a donut on a napkin.  We had a five minute turn around between lunch and home.  There were hugs and Merry Christmases exchanged and they loved telling me they would see me next year.

We had our faculty party which is always a good time.  There had been a contest going on all week and the 5th and 6th grade teachers were really into it.  They performed all the little tasks all week and they had a multimedia performance for us at the party.  The first grade and second grade teachers made up a song and performed it.  The third grade teachers were, I'm sure, dead last.  We did nothing and we couldn't even remember our team name (we'd all been assigned a reindeer).  

We can't all be energetic.

I stayed in my classroom until well after 5:00.  I was the only one in the school.  I was working on my LETRS training and I took down all my Christmas decorations and I'm not going back until January 3 and that feels wonderful.

Sunday we hosted the Relief Society women at our house.  I was going to make cookies and the ladies were going to visit and then the presidency would do ministering interviews.  We tidied up my office, Adam's office and the basement as interview spots.  Those are not spots usually ready for guests, in fact those are the prime spots to stash things, so that was where the effort went.  Adam brought home a lot of individually wrapped cookies from Corner Bakery that had been brought to work.  But no one was at work, so he brought them home.

So I didn't have to make cookies!

It was a nice time.  I did interviews in my office upstairs and people commented on how clean our house was, to which I would reply, "I knew you were coming!"  I also indicated all the shut doors. 

If people think our house is clean all the time, they're wrong.

It was fun visiting and I set up a few playdates for after Christmas.  It's nice to have friends.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails