Pages

Monday, December 13, 2021

Weekend

Weekends in December are usually busy and this one fit right in.

Friday we drove to Logan.  Adam and I are listening to a BBC podcast series about the White Helmets in Syria and I probably understand about 75% of it, but it is interesting.  (I push pause and ask Adam questions from time to time.)

I texted Mark when we were almost there (I had already spilled the beans about us coming--I was excited).

This is a typical text conversation with Mark.  He is a man of few words:


And it was cold.

Everything was icy and Mark instructed me to hang onto him.  He said, "I'm strong and I won't let you fall."

I said, "You're strong and if you slip, you'll take me with you."

He said, "I won't slip."

Because 19 is still a teenager.

We went to the art museum, which Mark had already visited and wanted to show us.  My children love art museums and I love that.

Next we went to dinner.  Mark picked a pizza place.  He had been there before (in the days before he completely ran out of money...maybe there is a correlation?) and he said that he thought the cauliflower crust was just a pile of cauliflower with pizza toppings, but it was actually a crust and actually good.

I love how Mark is adapting to celiac disease with his usual blend of acceptance and stoicism.  It makes me as proud as the whole art museum thing.

We enjoyed chatting and while Mark and Adam were talking about Seattle sports (and Seattle sports radio), my eyes wandered to a TV screen.  A team from Montana was playing and I remembered that my cousin Leslie's son plays football for a college in Montana.  I didn't know which one.

I saw a player, number 5, and I thought it looked like him, even with a helmet on. 

I pulled out my phone and went to Facebook and Leslie's profile and then her photos and then I saw that indeed Garret plays for that team and he is number 5.

Being a super recognizer is not very useful (except I help Adam keep characters straight at the beginning of movies we're watching), but it does add a certain gee whiz factor to eating in a pizza restaurant in Logan when you aren't following the Seattle sports conversation.

All too soon (because we had to drive back home), we took Mark back to his dorm.  In the car, we had him open his gifts.

The Vince Guaraldi Trio's vinyl record of A Charlie Brown Christmas was the only thing Mark has really requested for his birthday or Christmas.  


He was as happy as he could be.

I also got him flannel XL twin sheets for his dorm bed. 

Later I saw this text from him:



Mission accomplished.

Saturday morning Adam and I went early to building 3 in our stake.  We met Danielle there and we helped get it ready for the lunch that was to follow the funeral.  We received a refrigerator full of salads from ward members then we put a rolling cart outside the kitchen door as a refrigerator annex.  It was cold enough out there.

We went to building 2 for the funeral.  It was packed all the way to the stage.  I don't like funerals in general, but this was a good one.  Pat was a good man.  His children spoke and sang and would make any parent proud.  One of Pat's close friends spoke and then the elders quorum president, bishop and stake president all spoke.  It was the trifecta of powerful gospel instruction.  Tender as well as funny stories were told and the plan of salvation was taught.  It all added up to remembering a good man and a life well lived.

Adam and I had sat in the back so we could slip out and head back to building 3 as soon as possible.  A crew of women were there to help us serve the lunch to about 120 people.  Like Danielle said, "If I ever have to do this again, I want this team."

After, we stopped by the stake center where our ward was setting up for the ward Christmas party. (Earlier  when Adam and I were driving to building 3, I heard a siren up on the mountain and I told Adam, "Not today.  Nothing can happen to anyone in the ward today.  Stay healthy everyone!")  And as far as I know, they did.

Saturday night was the ward party.  It was a lovely affair.  I enjoyed visiting with people and the good food and the lovely decorations and program.

Sunday we made yogurt and berry parfaits for all the RS sisters before church and served them in Relief Society.  We had all the primary and young women ladies come in too and we introduced our theme for next year and it was nice to all be in the same room.

So it was a packed weekend and a tiring weekend, but also a good weekend.  

Now for one more week of school!

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...


1 comment:

Edgar Cobian said...

Ah, you do so much good!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails