Pages

Monday, January 10, 2022

Empty Nest

First of all, an update:  I braved the long line and I got a negative test result, which made the long line worth it!  I considered just assuming I had Covid, since I was sick and it is so rampant right now, but I am glad I got tested.  Less complicating.  After I had mono, many years ago, I would feel like I had mono again every time I got sick or run down or tired.  Maybe it's the same with me and Covid.  The difference is that back then, I didn't worry about infecting everyone around me and quarantining/isolating.  I'm grateful for the negative result and I'm also grateful to be feeling better.  By Saturday, I felt pretty much back to normal.

And it was a good thing; Saturday was a doozy.

In the same way that Braeden and Anna moved the same weekend Mark started at Utah State, Emma moved out the same weekend that Mark went back to Utah State after Christmas.

Rip off that bandaid, I guess.

Emma had ordered some things from IKEA and they were available for pickup at the airport, which is kind of strange, but so is everything in this Covid world.  Adam and Emma left in the van to get that stuff and Mark and I stayed behind to join them later.

I talked over with Mark all the things he needed, walking into the mudroom which is also the apothecary of diabetic supplies and pointed to things, saying:  do you need this?  how about this?  this?  I talked to him about how we needed to get a cooler for his insulin.  I reminded him to grab his things from the bathroom, stuff like that.

I went to get ready and he packed up and loaded everything in Adam's car.  We headed out, stopping by the mail to get his sensors that had just arrived.  Keeping track of his stuff is a part time job.

We went to Emma's new apartment.  It is cute!  I was very pleased with the set up and although her roommates weren't home, judging from the things they had hanging on the walls in the common living spaces, they seemed nice.  Adam and Mark built Emma's bed and Emma thanked them over and over and I handed them screws when prompted.  If you need something from IKEA built (or some Legos built) Mark is your guy.  Adam's a pretty experienced hand with an allen wrench too.

We got everything hauled in from the van and then went to MOD in Sugarhouse for lunch.  From there we parted ways with Emma and the three of us headed to Logan.  We had a nice drive and talked about important things like the best rides at Disneyland and how soon was too soon to take our granddaughter to Disneyland.  (Here's the thing:  I don't like any of the scary rides.  She and I can go on Small World for infinity and beyond and I'd be happy.)

When we drove into the Cache Valley and I saw all the snow, I asked, "You brought your boots, right Mark?"

He hadn't.

We took Mark's stuff into his apartment, exchanging greetings with other parents helping to carry stuff into their children's apartments and we hugged Mark and headed home.

"What are we going to do about those boots?" I asked Adam. 

"I don't know.  Mail them?"

I nodded.  

A little into the drive, Adam had me drive because he was tired.  Emma called and was back at our house and couldn't find her dishes.  I said, "Look in the dungeon." (Our fond name for our storage room in the basement that is cold and dark and dungeon-like.)

She said, "I did. They aren't there."

I suggested other spots, but I said, "I really think they are in the dungeon."

Shortly after that, Mark called.  He had forgotten his insulin.  I had given his closet a once over and asked things like, "Do you need those pants?" but I hadn't thought to make sure he had the thing that, you know, keeps him alive.

Adam said, "I usually have a checklist of all that stuff with him."  Adam felt like it was his fault.

I said, "I was the one at home.  I should have made sure."  I felt like it was my fault.

Mark said, "You two shouldn't have to worry about it.  It's my fault."

Regardless of whose fault it was, the fact remained that he needed the insulin.  Adam said, "I'm going to sleep while you drive, then I'll take it to him."

He was already tired so I thought I should be the one to take it.

Adam fell asleep and I drove and considered options.  I decided the best idea (because I really am terrible at staying up late and I get very sleepy when I drive) was for me to take Mark the insulin, then get a hotel room and make it home in time for 11:00 AM church.  It was a good plan.

When we got to PG and I was pulling off the freeway, Adam sleepily said, "You are a very smooth driver.  I didn't know we were this far." (You know Adam is sleepy if he compliments my driving.)

I told him my plan and he said, "No, I'll be fine."

Mark felt really and truly awful.  He had texted both of his siblings for comfort.  Emma said, "When I heard from Mark, I didn't feel so bad about my lost dishes."  Well, that's something.

Braeden texted and wondered just how mad we were at Mark.  We texted back that we weren't mad.  What's the point of that?  Being mad takes energy.

We got home and Adam got on the computer to do church stuff because that's always a part of his life.  Emma was stewing about the fact she couldn't find her kitchen stuff.  We went to the dungeon and I found the box almost immediately.  At school I can find stuff in my students' desks every time.  One of them said, "Teachers can find anything!"  Moms can too.  I'm sort of a (narrowly specific) super hero....

Emma headed out and Adam got ready to head out.  I had packed Mark's insulin in a cooler and I had retrieved the snow boots.

I said, "Whether or not we're ready for our kids to be on their own, are they?"

Adam just shook his head in disbelief about the whole day.

(At least our kids still need us.  There's that.)

Adam made it home at midnight.  He had driven over 8 hours and set up a bed and moved boxes and furniture.  That man is a hero.  I can find stuff in the dungeon, but he is the everything to everyone.


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails