Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2022

On the other hand

My students sat with rapt attention yesterday when I had a globe and was telling them about Columbus arriving at America accidentally.  It was alluded to in what we were reading in literacy.  I said, "You know the story of Columbus, right?"

They all said no.

(Granted the students being tested for accelerated learning were not there, plus I had 6 students absent.)

Still.

I told them all about it and they were simply amazed.  It's moments like that where I would do this job for free.

On the other hand, teaching them how to figure out area on a composite shape is not going well.  At all.  They just start adding and multiplying numbers haphazardly and one girl just writes on her paper.  "I'm tired and don't get this."

I tell her to erase that and keep trying.

***

I have started a new, pretty low key, exercise routine with the aim of not feeling like everything hurts and I'm dying.  I have small expectations.  It is making a difference in my life!  Most days I don't take Advil and it used to be the opposite of that.   I have so many neck and back troubles--shared by my siblings--but it feels like I have a strategy that is working.

On the other hand, I'm not a very good health nut.  When Jamie passed around cookies at the faculty meeting, I took one.

***

After the faculty meeting, I had Jami (the principal) sign my relicensing papers.  He called everyone back to attention and said, "Thelma wins a prize!  She is the first one to be done with her relicensing."

Janelle rolled her eyes and said, "Of course she did.  Thelma is a pre-crastinator."

On the other hand, there was no actual prize and when I went to the website to complete the last step, it said, "Try again later.  This website is down for scheduled maintenance."

I hate that.  Loose ends are a pre-crastinator's kryptonite.

***

I felt a jolt of happiness yesterday when I remembered that it was just Adam and me last night.  Every night is date night!

On the other hand, we both cried on Friday night when we were talking about our kids leaving.  How did it take us so unawares?




Also:  today is Braeden's birthday!  He is 25.  How lucky am I to have 25 years being mother to that stellar boy?  After he was born, Adam and I both noticed the quality of light in our little apartment felt different.  He's been bringing light ever since.  I would love to make him a cake (chocolate, with mint frosting), but I know he will be well celebrated by dear Anna.  Someday soon, when he has children of his own, I hope he understands how we feel about him.  Happy birthday to the bringer of sunshine and joy.

Adam:  teacher of dental hygiene and all good things


1 comment:

Marianne said...

Happy birthday dear Braeden!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails