Pages

Friday, January 14, 2022

Grateful Friday

We had a 7:30 emergency faculty meeting.  When I got there at 7:00 AM, the parking lot was nearly full.  I work in a school where the teachers love of teaching is only eclipsed by their love of their students and I can't get over it.  It is such a nice place to work.

Jami brought donuts to the meeting.  I brought anxiety.  We all make our contribution.

I had lots of questions.  Lots.  Including but not limited to: "But how are we supposed to do all of that and also teach?"

We were supposed to be in communication with parents and have them sign up to borrow Chromebooks if needed.  We were supposed to inventory the Chromebook before we sent them home, filling out a spreadsheet.  We were supposed to have meaningful online lessons prepared.  I wanted to figure out specific things for my English learners who couldn't do much with the other stuff I was preparing.  What about the special ed kids?  I wanted to send home a packet of worksheets for the class.  In all of my free time.  You know, when I was...teaching.  (I had outlined the plan for the packets beings sent home between 1:30 and 3:30 AM when I couldn't sleep.)

Jami took all my questions with aplomb like he does.  Preston, a fifth grader teacher at a nearby table leaned over and told me, "I'm glad it's not just me."

Janelle whispered, "We all have these questions, you are just the one asking them."

Jami said that at 2:00 AM, he realized we also need to send home computer chargers.  He said, "You'll have to unhook them from the carts."  (It must be said, that is a PAIN.  Ask me how I know.)

Lauren, a first grade teacher, said, "I was thinking about chargers in the middle of the night too!"

What it comes down to is that we could have had the meeting a lot earlier than 7:30 AM.  We were all awake.

Throughout the day, I had half a dozen aides ask me if I needed help with anything.  I had Nola and Lori helping me assemble packets and I got my students busy doing computer work and I drafted assignments and letters home and tried to quiet the caffeinated squirrel in my brain long enough to process information because there were a zillion emails coming in.

Kate came and offered to help me inventory Chromebooks.  Both instructional coaches checked in with me multiple times.  Courtney stopped by several times.  I was in pretty steady communication with the office.  They called me: This parent stopped by for a Chromebook.  I heard from that parent.  I walked down there with questions and stuff to be delivered and to confess my sin of sending home a Chromebook before I had copied down the serial number.  (In my defense, a dad stopped by right when I was teaching and distracted.)  After school when I walked in the office, Jami said, "Thelma the pre-crastinator!  Did you get it all done?"

I said, "Yes I did!"

He also stopped by my classroom late in the day, when I was about ready to head home.  "Is everything OK?  Do you need anything?"

That is what everyone wanted to know, all day long.  It was all hands on deck and they are some very good hands.  And also, we did it!  The packets and the Chromebooks went home.  My students told me they'd miss me.  They asked how long until they saw me again.  I could tell they were kind of sad, but also pretty happy about it.  They left love notes on the board:


Here's a close up that made me feel understood!

I say this a lot and it is truer than true.  I am grateful to work at such a good school.  I am grateful for the empowering feeling of all working together in the cause of children who often don't reciprocate with good behavior, but we do it anyway. 

I am grateful to be the one who hears the story of a harrowing bike ride.  I'm grateful to be the one to tie the shoes and apply the bandaids.  I'm grateful to lead them in rousing versions of Happy Birthday.  I'm grateful for the looks on their faces when I read them a story and they love it.  

It is hard and sometimes thankless and often wonderful.

1 comment:

Mark Dahl said...

I am grateful that there are teachers like you in the world. And especially that you're mine. Your mom

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails