Pages

Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Still a teacher

I have been reading the stories my students wrote. They are awesome! They have typed their stories and I go into editing mode on Google docs and make corrections. Most of my suggestions are related to grammar and punctuation--particularly quotation marks which are hard for third graders to master. It cracks me up when they reject my suggestions. I admire their spunk and confidence in thinking, Nah, I think I'm right, not Mrs. Davis. If I were there with them in person, I would tell them, "I promise this is the right way to do it." They might believe me.

Since I'm not there in person and my typed words are easy to ignore it will probably be up to their 4th grade teachers to convince them. I'm OK with that.

(Because I have to be.)

I have been delighted by their creativity. They have created characters with names like Crunchedy Crunch and Killer Litch.

Some more good characters:
Bob, Bobby, and Glunk were in the dark spooky forest. Well, not one of them. Glunk got lost. He had no brains.
Some rather violent problem solving:
Once upon a time there was a boy born without eyes. He needed eyes at least for a little while, so they killed a cat for its eyes.
At once heartbreaking and a perfect description of motherhood when your children are sad:
Every night after school he would run upstairs and lay on his bed and cry. It would tear his mother down every time he got sad.
Could you sum up a beast better?
Once upon a time there was a beast named Vrez. He loved distress and hatred.
Dialogue that made me laugh out loud:
Then all of a sudden a loud noise broke the silence “Roar!!!” Just then, huge jaws snatched up Ducky!?
“Chomper why did you do that!?”

Then Chomper’s eyes popped open, he had been sleep eating again. “Sorry guys,” he said sadly. 
 “It’s alright, she was annoying.”
Reading their words reminded me that they are terrific and I am still their teacher.  

A few days ago one of them commented on a read aloud:



I have no idea what about the read aloud prompted that. But yes, he has older siblings.

Another student sent me this email:



They aren't making it any easier to be away from them. I want to keep reading their words. I have six more weeks with these wonderful people and I'm going to enjoy it as much as I can!

2 comments:

Geri said...

Your students know that you love them and they’ll carry that forever. Using quotation marks correctly would be a bonus.

Marianne said...

Whenever you write about your teaching it makes me cry.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails