Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2020

Reupholstery exasperation

During Christmas break, I started the process of getting some of our furniture reupholstered.  There have been frustrating delays in the interim.  They've had our furniture since early March.  It was supposed to be for a week and a half.  Instead we got excuses.

My wife had a baby.

A worker had a death in the family.

Someone had to go to a funeral.

(You already used that one....)

Finally FINALLY our furniture was delivered yesterday!  Adam and I were both gone and Emma received them.  She said they will email me the final invoice.

They haven't yet.

Raise your hand if you're surprised.

Here are the before and afters (because who doesn't love a good before and after?):


Linn reupholstered the chairs for us about 15(?) years ago.  None of us wanted to see them changed because he had done them but they were getting very worn.


Emma texted me that the new upholstery looked good with the rug.  Weird.  It's almost like I selected them on purpose to look good together....

The couch and loveseat had been relegated to the basement because once we moved to Utah they started flaking because of the dry weather.  They are bonded leather instead of actual leather and apparently bonded leather and deserts aren't friends.

I bought ill fitting slipcovers that worked/drove us crazy for the last five years.  Structurally all the furniture was in great shape so reupholstering felt like a good choice.




Here is the after:


I am 99% happy with the whole thing.  The top of the couch is a little wonky which bugs me.  I took pictures last night to text to the upholstery people.  There is no way I'm sending them back to their shop that is an abyss furniture never returns from, but I wanted them to know that I knew it was wonky and I wondered if there was an easy fix they could do.  Here.

Adam noticed Emma's expression and said, "Emma, you're not old enough to be confrontational."

She said, "No.  I hate confrontation.  I do anything to avoid it."

I said, "Wait til you're older."

So we got our furniture reupholstered.  I'm glad we did.  The furniture looks and feels better.

Do I have an upholsterer to recommend?  No.  I do not.

3 comments:

Geri said...

They all look good. It sounds like being pregnant in that it is to soon to ask if you’d do it again.

Mark Dahl said...

They look great, Thelma.

Stephanie L Johnson said...

Nobody upholsters like Lynn did. Still so happy with my couches. That said, your new grey items are lovely with your rug, Emma is right and what a lucky turn of events, just like you might have wanted it that way, hugs,

slj

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails