Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2021

A constant delight

 I mean, I typed that and I remembered how they grouse about someone cutting in line in front of them when the bell rings in the morning and is it really worth getting bent out of shape if you got in the classroom 3 seconds later than you were expecting? 

They aren't a constant delight, but nearly.

Yesterday I decided to jot down a note to remember the things they said that made me happy.

During literacy, I was working with a girl who is learning English.  She'd sound out a short vowel word (CVC if you're in the biz) and then I'd show her a picture of it and she'd say, "Oh!" because she didn't know it was called that in English but she was thrilled that she'd just read the word.  Same reaction on every word.  It's hard not to be happy when you are teaching someone who is that happy to be learning.

Later, another English learner, another girl, was at my table with a boy.  They aren't sounding out words so much as working on sounds (phonemic awareness if you're in the biz).  I showed a picture of a fin so they could match the sounds.  The boy got excited about sharks because we're going to the aquarium for a third grade field trip next week and they are all abuzz about it.  The girl said, "Wait.  Sharks are real!?!"

I said yes and she said, "Now I'm scared!"

I told her we would take care of her and I tried to explain glass and aquariums but didn't really succeed.

How wonderful to be able to expose someone to the fact that sharks are real!

Speaking of the field trip, I have a handful of students that haven't returned their permission slips.  I reminded them.  I showed the paper.  I asked, "Do you have this paper?"  A few found them crumpled in the bottom of their backpacks.  A girl said she'd given it to her mom but her mom hadn't given it back.  (When in doubt, blame your mom.)

Another English learner timidly asked what if her mom didn't want to sign it.

I tried to explain what it was.  I showed her the back of the permission slip which we'd had translated into Spanish.  I told her to see if her mom had seen the Spanish side.  She looked worried.  I tried to explain what the field trip was, again what an aquarium was.  She still looked worried.

I asked her if she needed a new paper.

She said, "No."

I said, "Give it to your mom."

During writing a girl asked me if I knew how to spell there.  I said, "I do!"

It truly sets me apart from the third graders, I'll tell you that.

They were writing opinion pieces and one of the prompts was do you prefer apples or carrots.  One of my favorite (it's OK to say that if I don't mention names, right?) told me why he prefers apples. You can cut them on bicycles.

I had to hear more.  He explained his method.  He hurls the apple at the spokes of his bike and it cuts the apple.

I said, "And then you eat it?"

He said, "And then I eat it."

I asked, "Does your bike get sticky?"

He said, "No.  But I could always spray water on it."

I didn't inquire about the cleanliness of the apple after the bike had sliced it.  

That kid is going places. (On his sticky bike.) 

At the end of the day, the girl who hadn't brought her permission slip walked up to me with the permission slip, her mother had signed the Spanish side.  

She said, "Does this help?"

I said, "Yes!"

It had been in her backpack all along.  

The takeaway is that moms are often on top of things.



LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails