Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Would that help?

A few days ago, a line from the movie, Bridge of Spies, popped into my head.

In the movie, Rudolf Abel is a Russian spy who has been captured by Americans and James Donovan is a lawyer who is brought in as his defense and who is also trying to make a trade with the Soviet Union.  America will trade Rudolf Abel for a US airman who landed in enemy territory.

At one point, James Donovan says to Rudolf Abel, "Aren't you worried?"

Rudolf Abel responds, "Would that help?"

I love it.

I need to remember it.

My math lesson was a complete flop Monday.  I had discipline problems I need to deal with.  (I rearranged desks for the 1000th time after school yesterday.) I have a few students who are really really struggling.  I am having a hard time addressing all their needs.  I need to complete some training and I don't know when I will find the time.  I am thinking a lot about Mark.  I miss him for one thing.  For another thing, I want everything in his life to be good, no great.  How can I make that happen?

Ha.  I can't.

So I certainly could worry.  I could worry a lot.  I have that capacity. (I have clocked plenty of worrying time so I know I have skills.)

Would it help?  Does it help?

No.

Also, I'm grateful for all-is-not-lost reminders.  One of my students who rolls his eyes a lot and scowls at me and is pretty much belligerent often, was out riding his bike in the playground before school.  Well before school.  It breaks my heart a little when they are super early for school.

He yelled at me across the playground when I got out of my car.  "Hi Mrs. Davis!" He seemed so enthusiastic and happy to see me.

It warmed my heart.  He is one that will NOT be happy about his new seating arrangement but I know he was excited to see me that one time.  I'll take it.



2 comments:

Marianne said...

I love you! We should start a support group for people who worry even though it doesn't help!

Olivia Cobian said...

You just might be the best part of that little guy's day. I'm glad he has you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails