Pages

Monday, September 20, 2021

Bare minimum day

Friday was a hard day.  Really hard.  I had a migraine.  At school.  Here's a fact:  you can tell 35 third graders you have a headache, a bad one.  You can ask them to please be quieter.  Please stop.

They won't.

They can't.

It was awful.

I considered going home but I didn't want to leave.  Also I didn't want to majorly inconvenience everyone at the school two weeks in a row with me skipping out.

At lunchtime, I didn't eat because I felt super nauseous anyway.  I turned off my lights and locked the door so I could lie down on the floor.  It was more comfortable than it sounds.  I closed my eyes and tried to keep the world from roiling.  

I prayed a lot too and I actually started to feel a little better and by after school, I ate part of my lunch.  It was quiet in the school and that helped.

When I was about ready to go home, Mr. Dawson made an announcement on the loudspeaker that we were hiring a new third grade teacher.  A cheer erupted in the school from my fellow teachers in their classrooms.  Everyone has been walking around looking at Janelle and me like we were tributes in the hunger games.  

It was happy news and I hope someone is hired SOON.  I texted all my teacher friends to ask them if they knew anyone looking for a job.

We went to MOD for dinner (Mark's choice) and I came up with a new holiday to celebrate on Saturday:  Bare Minimum Day.

I asked everyone what the bare minimum they needed/wanted to do for the day.  Emma and Mark decided they could pool their clothes and do a little load of laundry.  I had laundry to fold as well as plants to tend and mail to go through.  Adam's list was far more ambitious than ours.  He had a full list of outdoor/yard chores.

We decided we'd help each other until everyone's list was complete.

I finished my stuff before anyone else was even awake and we woke up to a blustery rainstorm.

It made me happy, that rain.  I wanted Adam to have a day that was a break and the heavens agreed with me.

The day was sublime.  We sat around and chatted and went to lunch and went to the outlet mall for a warm coat for Mark.  (Emma bought a shirt and I bought two sweaters accidentally because I don't need sweaters.)

We came home and napped and then went to the Sounders match.  They were playing Real Salt Lake.




The Sounders didn't win but I wasn't really there for the soccer.  We were in the posh executive suite with delicious food plus I mostly like the drama.  (It's the same way I like the Yale Alumni magazine for the personal ads.  I don't know, I just get delighted by people looking for love but only from other Ivy leaguers.  And also, they list their degrees in the ads.)  Emma and Mark decided that college soccer players are probably all theater majors.  Mark leaned over to me and said, "Theater 1075?  It's only for soccer players."

As we drove to and from the soccer match, Mark read aloud from my blog.  It is fun revisiting things from years past.  Writing about nothing adds up to something.

Sunday after church we took Mark back to Logan.  We talked to Braeden and Anna on the phone while we drove there.  They are happy and discovering their new place.  Braeden has an office to share with other graduate students and Anna is starting her new job at the library soon.  I love picturing them figuring out their new life together.  

Once at USU, we walked around the campus a little and Mark showed us the buildings he frequents.  I like seeing him proud of his place.  I didn't like leaving him there....

The weekend was a nice one though.  It was exactly what I needed.  Sometimes the bare minimum is all you need to do.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

Hooray for a new 3rd grade teacher!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails