Pages

Monday, September 6, 2021

Saturday state of affairs

We packed a lot into Saturday.

I made a long multi column list of all the things.  We vowed to get as many accomplished as possible on Saturday so we could have a fun Monday.

In the morning I worked inside and Adam and Emma worked outside.  Adam cut a bunch of limbs off trees and tried to get Emma to cut them up so they would fit in our garbage can.  She was happy to be helpful in every way (praise be for adult children!) but she won't be near our big clippers.

When she was three (so how does she even remember it?) Linn accidentally cut Geri's finger with big clippers when they were cutting branches. It made a big impression on Emma, who is easily spooked anyway.

I cut the branches up on one end of the pile then I would move the the other side while Emma gathered the cut branches up and put them in the bin.  As long as she could social distance from the clippers, she was fine.

We finally wrapped things up to go do our errands.  Emma opted not to join us and I said, "How could you miss this?"

Seriously,  Saturday errands with Adam is one of my favorite things in the week.

We went to my classroom so I could finish up some things to prepare for my new student because I had to leave early Friday to join Mark's doctor appointment virtually.  Also, I needed Adam (aka my tech support) to look at my school computer.

I was working at my desk and Adam was at a table with my computer and he said, "I don't know what is happening."

I absently said, "What?"

He said, "All your files are gone."

So then he had my attention.  

My heart kind of stopped.  It wasn't like losing my life's work but it was definitely losing the work of the last two plus years.  I went and sat next to him and I could tell he was alarmed and when your even keeled don't worry I can fix it husband is alarmed about all your files being gone...yikes.

He able to retrieve them because he is a wizard.

It was stressful though.  I can't even begin to explain.

From there we went to Costco.  Everyone in Utah County (except Emma) was at Costco it seemed.  It was a zoo.  I told Adam we are never going to Costco on Saturday again.  (I think I tell him that every time we go to Costco on Saturday.)  We usually go on a weeknight and that is a much better proposition.

At one point, Adam went to find something and I waited with the cart.  A woman in a motorized cart approached me.  All I can think is that the motorized cart disarmed me and I didn't have my usual don't-talk-to-me look on my face.

This woman laughed a little and said, "Now, this is unsolicited..."

Which was her way of acknowledging that she probably shouldn't be doing it but was proceeding nonetheless.

She went on to tell me, pointing at the chicken in my cart, that chicken has been found to cause UTIs in women.  I said, "All chicken?"

She said, "Yes."

I said something along the lines of hmm.

She said, "You can go to nutrition facts.com and read about it."

I thanked her and she motored her way away.

Adam came back and from the look on my face said, "What happened?"

My guard was down.  That is all.  Somehow I looked approachable.  A mistake.

Later we saw her again.  She said, "I was wrong!  It's not all chicken!  It's 50% of chicken!"

Again, I think I managed a hmm.

Then, of course, I had to text Emma about it.

When we finally made it home after all our errands, we sat on the deck and watched the pastel sunset.

There was an almost cold breeze coming down the mountains and I commented that the seasons were going to change.  We mostly hate summer--especially the smoke--so we're all happy to see autumn.  I said, "Nothing lasts forever."

But then I said, "Except this."

Adam and I are forever.

And I'll take it.


Speaking of Adam, I love every word he writes.  Here is a blog post he wrote.  .


2 comments:

Mark Dahl said...

Love your blog and loved Adam's too. Both of you are writers. Your mom

Edgar Cobian said...

I want to be that lady warning everyone about UTI's and chicken! You gotta love people! So funny!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails