Pages

Monday, March 23, 2020

Adam and me

We have a lot in common (our birthdays for example!) but we are quite different too.

On Friday night I asked Adam what he was going to do the next day and he said, "I've been structured all week.  I want some unstructured time."

Saturday I wrote a detailed and comprehensive plan, mapping out what I want to do during this weird quarantined time and how I am going to fit in the things that matter.

He thrives on spontaneity like I thrive on routine.

We also approach gifts and gift giving differently.  Gifts are my love language and I love giving and receiving them.  Not so for Adam.  I struggle to understand that gifts don't matter to him and I try anyway.  There's a whole archive of unopened gifts I have bought him over the years in the closet in his office to document my enthusiastic and misguided efforts.

He said he wanted to go somewhere.  We have all this time and all these national parks.  "Let's go," he said.

I dragged my routine loving feet because we have stuff to do (I have lists!  They're color coded!) and also it's a crazy time to be going anywhere when hotels and restaurants and Maveriks are closed.

Then I thought about Adam and what I could really give him for his birthday (because I really really want to give him something).  I decided being onboard with his road trip scheme is my birthday gift to him.  We mapped out a route and picked hotel rooms.

I knew I would enjoy it.  Whenever he leads me on some impromptu adventure it is always worth it.

Happy birthday Adam!

Then.

Yesterday morning I woke up and read the news.  (I need to not read the news.  Someone tell me if something happens I need to know about.)  I started feeling anxiety and feeling like we shouldn't go on a trip.

But.

It was for Adam!  It was what he wanted!  It would probably be fine; I was just being my normal anxious self.

Then, when Adam woke up I said, "We need to talk."

I told him all the things and then he said, "I couldn't sleep last night because I was thinking about it and I finally thought maybe we shouldn't go.  Then I could sleep."

So.

We may take a smaller day trip but much like everything else in our lives, our other road trip is cancelled/postponed.

For our differences, we're on the same page more often than not.

Happy birthday Adam!





No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails