Pages

Thursday, March 5, 2020

Don't look at the wall

Don't look at the wall.  Your car goes where your eyes go.
-Mario Andretti


A few days ago I listened to a podcast from my very favorite podcaster, Emily P. Freeman, and she quoted the above Mario Andretti quote.

And so I've been thinking about it like I think about Emily P. Freeman's podcasts all the time.

I've been wondering what my wall is.  And here's what I've come up with:  my wall is this irrational feeling that I'm letting everyone down.

I'm not doing enough for Mark, Adam is picking up too much slack, I single-mindedly do what's right in front of me and things slip through the cracks, I'm pretty novice at this whole teaching gig but I want to be an expert teacher because I love those kids and I want to be the best for them.

It's exhausting.

And not helpful.

I need to keep my eyes where I want my car to go.  I want to be loving and helpful and kind and open minded to learning new things and improving.  I want to be flexible with life's curveballs and resilient.  Focusing on my failings won't get me there.




1 comment:

Mark Dahl said...

And you're doing all of those things (except focusing on your failings). Isn't it nice that we all have a desire to do better. You're doing great.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails