Pages

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

The state of things

There was no toilet paper, hamburger or chicken at Costco.  There were about five cartons of eggs and a sign that said everyone could only have one.

Everyone was quiet as they shopped and also everyone seems sort of relaxed and unhurried.  That's what happens when you cancel everything I guess.

My classroom is very tidy and very depressing with its lack of 8 year olds.

There is an urgency about the teachers that warms my heart.  No one is mailing it in.  Everyone cares.

I had between 5-10 students stop by to get the packets I prepared.  It was a warm sunny day and they were relaxed and dressed like summer.  One girl brought some pictures she had drawn to show me.  Another girl told me that she likes homeschooling way more than coming to school because she gets to sleep in and gets an hour long recess.

I don't blame her.

I miss them.

I really miss the ones I haven't been able to be in contact with yet.  Are they OK?  It keeps me up at night even though they survived pretty well before I was their teacher and I need to chill out.

(Have you ever tried to chill out at 3:00 AM when anxiety is weighing you down?  I'm not good at it.)

I enlisted Olivia's help in translating a message to Spanish so I could communicate better.  I wish I could speak/read/write Spanish but at least I have her.

We have daffodils blooming and the love of our children and my stellar husband.  We have all the necessitities of life and are healthy.

I am grateful for all of that.

...and this morning we had an earthquake.  We have no damage, but seriously.  An earthquake?


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails