Pages

Thursday, March 26, 2020

My new favorite thing

I get messages from my students every day thanking me for recording my read alouds.  They tell me they miss me.  They wonder if I had a good birthday.

I met with a few of my students on Google Meet yesterday.  I loved it!

One of the chatty girls was telling me all about everything, just like normal.

One boy said, "Where are you?  That doesn't look like our classroom."  I told him I was home and that seemed confusing.  Maybe he thinks I live at the school?

I have been putting my all into recording read alouds.  I take pictures of the illustrations and create slideshows to go along with the reading.  I asked the students I talked to today if they were listening to them.  They all said no.

I asked one boy if he'd seen my writing videos.  He said, "What videos?"

Sigh.

At the same time it felt kind of lovely and normal that some of them are ignoring my best efforts.  These same kids have been ignoring me all year.  The fact that they are still doing it is kind of like when you have a toddler who has been sick and they start running around terrorizing again.  It's a little bit of a relief.

Google Meet conferences are my new favorite thing.

This is not perfect but it is maybe working.  I'm getting responses trickling in from students.  We'll find our rhythm.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails