Pages

Friday, July 12, 2019

Grateful Friday

Today I'm grateful for perspective.  And I'm grateful that I keep getting reminders when I lose perspective.

I read this recently and it has stayed with me.  "Don't hurt your own feelings."

It's similar to what my dad says often, quoting Brigham Young:


Sometimes I'm good at feeling offended.  I will try to remember:  don't hurt your own feelings.

**
*

Nola has been in Zambia for the past three weeks on a humanitarian trip helping her sister who runs a school there.  She helped build a clinic, helping to pump 250 gallons of water by hand.

Wednesday evening, I walked across the cul-de-sac to catch up.  We sat on her grass in the waning light and she told me all about it.  It was pretty incredible.  Our eyes frequently teared up as she told me about the poverty and the ways people were exploited, especially children.  She told me however, that every person she talked to was happy.  And they all believe in God.

We talked about the comparative embarrassment of affluence we have as Americans.  She said she felt sort of guilty coming home, but then she realized, "No this is where I was planted."

This is where I was planted.

For reasons unknown and undeserved by us, Nola and I were both born into comfort and opportunity.  We've never worried about where we would get water or our next meal.  Never.

We talked about how we'd better do something with our lives, since we were planted here.  We'd better serve and contribute and love.

We also considered that life in affluent America isn't without its problems.  Some of our problems are even the result of our affluence.

Life can be hard no matter who you are.  I want to be like the Zambians though.  I want to be known as someone who is happy and believes in God.



2 comments:

Olivia Cobian said...

This is so good! We just talked about this kind of thing at lunch. Ruben was quoted "Calvin and Hobbes," like usual, and he said, "I know life is unfair, but why can't life ever by unfair in my favor?" We talked about all the ways life IS unfair in his favor.

Anonymous said...

Thelma, this made me cry. While it's true that everything makes me cry, especially in my weakened condition, but I love this. I am in Kiribati, and I got super sick. I really just wanted to die. The life was so hard, the water wasn't clean, and there was no real bathroom, running water, or electricity. Talking to my family on the phone about Anniversary trips and youth conference and restaurants seemed like another world. We are so blessed. For some reason, I've been missing you and your family so much lately. I miss coming to your house all the time! I can't wait to see you next month! Love you!

Clarissa

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails