Pages

Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Books I read June 2019

Insomnia + waiting for appointments.  I'm reading.  So there's that.





Floating in My Mother's Palm by Ursula Hegi **

This book was just kind of weird.  It was good writing but felt like the author had several vignettes or character sketches she wanted to write and then combined them into a book that didn't have a plot.





Winter In Paradise by Elin Hildenbrand ***

Elin Hildenbrand's books are perfect escapist summer light reading.  They aren't that memorable but they are interesting while you read them.

This one better have a sequel because it was a complete cliff hanger.  It's set in the Virgin Islands and is about a woman who discovers a secret life her dead husband had.





Standard Deviation by Katherine Heiny **

I probably liked this book more than I otherwise would have because it was very funny sometimes.  Laugh out loud funny.  The main characters were all pretty unlikable and untrustworthy and disloyal. But the parts about the son and his origami club were funny.  It's about a man who cheated on his wife, married the mistress, and now wonders if he made the wrong choice and meanwhile his current wife has an affair of her own.

Ugh.




Plainsong by Kent Haruf**

This was another book that had redeeming qualities but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.  There were whole chapters I skipped because I learned that I didn't want to read about certain characters and their escapades.  The part that kept me reading was the storyline of two elderly bachelors who were brothers.  A schoolteacher convinced them to take in a young pregnant teenager and it was the sweetest thing ever.

There was another character who was also a schoolteacher who had a wife who abandoned the family and he was just kind of boring and unlikable.

Then there was all the icky stuff I skipped.






No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails