Pages

Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Countdown

One week from today.

Yesterday I felt a thrum of anxiety all day long.  I talked to Marianne and she said that she felt the same way up until after Clarissa's wedding reception.  She said she didn't even realize how anxious she felt until it went away.

It's awfully nice having a sister that does everything nine months before I do.  (She got married nine months before me, gave birth to Clarissa nine before Braeden was born and Clarissa got married nine months before Braeden.)

For Clarissa's reception, Marianne had a cake that was two layers of styrofoam and one layer of cake on the top for the bride and groom to cut.  She served other cake besides.

I thought it was genius.

I've tried to find something similar with no luck.  The closest I could come cost about 5 times as much.

Emma said, "Frost it yourself."

I reminded her that every cake I've ever made looks wonky.

But, I went to baker after baker and none of them were willing to give me what I wanted.  We're serving mint brownies from BYU catering so I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a cake no one will eat.

Finally, I talked to a baker (who wouldn't frost styrofoam because it was "against policy") who told me I should just frost it myself, "It's not that hard."

So I didn't want to listen to Emma who knows I am a clumsy froster (is froster a verb?) but I decided to listen to this random baker.

As the time approaches I'm feeling the same way I felt about agreeing to accompany our kids on the piano while they sang in church.  What have I done?!?

Last night, after rehashing all my anxiety with Adam but before eating ice cream on the deck, I practiced frosting:

cameo shot of Emma who was on her phone/offering moral support

The little dollop in the center of the cake is Adam sampling the frosting.

So I decided to practice a few more times.  If nothing else, Desi is going to decorate the cake with flowers and perhaps we can use a lot of flowers.

Emma took a picture of the sunset with her phone for me because it takes the best pictures and the sunset was gorgeous.


Sitting on the deck on summer evenings.

It helps at least 75% of the anxiety roll away.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I was excited to come, but now that I know there are BYU mint brownies I can't wait to get there!!! My favorite!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails