Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2019

Puritan proverbs

I'm sure your daughter is awesome.  But is she writes-Puritan-proverbs-awesome?  Because mine is.  I can think of no good reason why Emma would decide to write Puritan proverbs except she has a whole cache of witty lists on her phone and why not add another?

So here you go, straight from my girl Emma:
An inch of skin is an inch of sin. 
An angel cries when a woman lies. 
Burn the witch or get the switch. 
The woman who meddles is loved by the devil. 
You'll be beaten by the staff if you even think to laugh. 
A show of affection is cause for correction. 
Mead by morning, dead by evening. 
If church you miss the devil you'll kiss.
She was reading us her Puritan proverbs on Sunday and Freja said, "Emma, I'm so glad I'm friends with you."

I'm glad Emma and Freja are friends too.  And I'm glad to have Emma in my life.  Since I taught her English and sort of taught her to read and write (she mostly just picked it up), I'd like to take a little credit for her way with words, but I don't think I deserve much credit.

She's just Emma. Very thoroughly Emma.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

Such an abundance of talent and wit!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails