Pages

Monday, January 14, 2019

Weekend

Mark drove himself to school Friday and to hang out with friends both Friday and Saturday nights.  I hate it and love it at the same time.

Friday, Braeden the birthday boy and 12 other lovely BYU students arrived to watch a movie.  I bought a bunch of snacks that mostly didn't get eaten because they'd gone to Pizza Pie Cafe on the way here.

Heather (one of my former laurels) was among the kids and it made me happy to hug her and catch up.  Braeden said she mostly came to see me.  I'm glad I could tip the scales.

They watched Paul Blart Mall Cop and I watched a little too because I love that movie.  While I watched, I worked on my multiplication kaboom game.  (You know, like you do on a Friday night.)



It's for the third graders I work with.  Basically I do activities with them that I hope are worthwhile and give them candy.  It's pretty much like being a YW president.

Adam came home from refereeing so then I was with him and didn't have to crash the college party (although Adam and I went downstairs eventually and watched the end of the movie...it was Paul Blart Mall Cop after all).

Saturday was the typical errand and housework day.  Then Mark went out and Adam settled into his office to work.  I said, "Do you mind if I work in here too?  I've got to print a bunch of stuff."

He said sure, so I sat down and worked on a math Jeopardy game for school.  Every 30 seconds I asked Adam for help with either formatting or paper was jammed in the printer or it was printing on both sides.

I said, "I bet you wish I weren't in here."

"It is busy," he agreed.

Then, Adam and I went to Costco to pick up his car (he was having a flat tire repaired) and decided to "walk around" while we waited for the time to go to the theater.  I was sitting in front a spot with my blinker on, waiting for someone to back out.  A little car came fast from the other direction and zipped into my spot.  I said, "I'll bet that guy doesn't know how big my husband is."  We found a nearby spot and sure enough, the guy stayed in the car until we had walked away.  Adam is a gentle giant though, so he didn't need to be worried.  (Although I saw him later in the store and he was wearing a stocking cap and shorts and socks and sandals so maybe he should be a little worried because someone stole his pants and it's January.)

A hundred dollars later (Have you ever walked around Costco without buying a cartload?  I don't know if it's possible), we emerged and made it to the theater with little time to spare.  Emma greeted us on the sidewalk with our tickets on her way to the box office to call us and see if we had forgotten.

We saw The Odd Couple and I laughed so hard I almost choked on my Peanut M&M.  I love the theater and I love sitting next to Adam in the theater.

Sunday we had our kids over (and by our kids I mean more than the ones I gave birth to).  We also further celebrated Braeden's birthday.

Here's an aside and a cautionary tale.  When you have a two year old (and mind you this was pre Pinterest times) you may get the idea to make a frog cake.  Just a regular cake with cupcakes for eyes and frosted green.  If you pursue that idea and your child is sentimental, you may just be making that frog cake every year.

I texted Braeden and asked him what kind of cake he wanted.  I assumed chocolate with mint frosting.  He texted back yes to that, but he wanted a frog.

So I did it and it's the ugliest frog cake yet and it seems I'd be getting better at them but apparently I'm not.

At least the kids are cute.

Except why can everyone except my children be normal in a picture?

Braeden, Mark, Emma, Leif, Freja, Anna, Desi, Liberty and Zack (or Zaberty as our kids call them)

Braeden opened his gifts.  He had requested a silky robe because a fellow EFY counselor had one.  I thought they seemed sort of creepy so this one is more of a satiny cotton.  He tried it on (of course) and sat down and said he needed a hound (of course) so Mark ran over to be his hound (of course).


I love our big Sundays.  Adam was the real champion.  After seven hours of church, he made ten pizzas.  Desi said about Adam churning out deliciousness from the kitchen, "Adam's like Edgar."

Which Adam and I both thought was the ultimate compliment.

We had our gospel study time together and I love hearing the discussion of those good kids.  BYU gave me good friends and a husband and an education and that place is still blessing my life.

3 comments:

Marianne said...

You guys are amazing! Thank you, thank you, my heart sings!

Olivia Cobian said...

What a great place to be! Braeden and I have a lot in common--January birthdays, same food every birthday, and chocolate cake with mint frosting! No wonder I love that kid so much!

Olivia Cobian said...

Multiplication Kaboom Game? I need this for Ammon! Tell me about it (maybe via the telephone).

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails